Workshop "Similarity from Distinct Point of Views"
"Similarity from Distinct Point of Views"
PhD program "Empirical Speech and Language Processing"
San Servolo, Venice, 11th - 16th October 2010
Notions of "similarity", or its neighbour "nearidentity", appear in many disciplines. In this workshop we want to look at the problem of defining, understanding, formalizing, recognizing, and exploiting similarity from an interdisciplinary point of view. Contributions to the workshop are expected from, but not limited to the following topics:
- similarity of words
- similarity of documents
- grouping similar objects using cluster algorithms
- lowdimensional representations via multidimensional scaling
- similarity as a concept in user interfaces
- construction of complex systems by reusing similar systems
Phonetics and Speech Processing
- similarity in speech production and perception
- invariance and variability in human and machine speech processing
- origins of linguistic similarity
- description of similarity between languages
Organisation of the workshop
Following a practical approach, workshop participants are asked to report on instances of research in their own fields related to questions of similarity and/or nearidentity.
11th Oct. 2010 travel and registration
12th 13th Oct. 2010 workshop "Similarity from Distinct Points of View"
14th 15th Oct. 2010 colloquium of the PhD program ESP
The workshop will be held on the island of San Servolo in Venice, Italy. Accommodations are available on the island.
Sibylle von Tiedemann for further information and organisational questions.
Download: announcement (PDF, 153,1 kb).